Friday, June 8, 2012

Confession: I Couldn’t Do My Third Grade Son’s Homework

by Stacie Haight Connerty (blogs.babble.com)



There are times lately when I just feel overwhelmed as a parent. This mainly happens in the homework department.

My son is nine and is going into the 4th grade. Many times during this past school year (when he was in third grade) he needed help with his homework. And he asked me. Apparently, the dumb parent.
Now mind you I don’t really think that I am dumb although his third grade teacher may disagree with that statement (hopefully not to my face, though).

I have an MBA. I had a successful career as a marketing/human resources executive and I do pretty well as a professional blogger/social media consultant. I have done some really cool stuff.

But when it came to 3rd grade homework? I ended up Googling a lot more stuff that I would have ever thought I needed to. Stuff that I feel like I should probably know.

Math problems. English worksheets. History stuff. Forget being smarter than a fifth grader, I wasn’t even as smart as a third grader. It was embarrassing. It still is embarrassing.

I vaguely remember diagramming sentences back in the day which, by the way, I absolutely never ever did again outside of school. But I do remember doing it. I had a little trouble with diagramming this year. Many times I had to wait until my husband came home so he could help our son finish up. Mind you I sure didn’t want him checking my work from earlier.

So I am afraid that the few times my son’s homework was late this year was because his mother couldn’t find what she needed on Google. There were also times when I wrote notes to his teacher exclaiming that his homework seemed exceptionally hard for me and I asked were there any study guides that she recommended.

The thing is, this is only going to get harder. I am only going to feel dumber.

Please tell me I am not alone. I cannot be alone, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment