Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Bag Lady Art: Recycle And Display Luxury Store Shopping Bags

BY

I wanted to share with you a fabulous way to recycle and a rather unique way of showing off your sense of style or inspire your style… yet guaranteed to become a great conversation piece in closet, dressing room, bathroom, or woman cave.



I absolutely L-O-V-E beautiful shopping bags and display many in my closet, that doubles (in my imagination) as my own personal designer boutique within my home. When I buy a luxury item, I feel obligated to save the packaging. It seems like such a waste to throw it away, since it is not only pretty, but such a nice keepsake. Among my favorites are the orange Hermes, the chocolate brown Louis Vuitton, the blue Tiffany, the bold pink Betsey Johnson, the green and white striped Kate Spade, the black and white Chanel, the always changing, but always chic Neiman Marcus, and a few pretty ones from small boutiques I have shopped over the years locally or while on vacation.

I admit, I have a box full of them that I can’t bear to get rid of! They are far too pretty and/or unique although I continue to tell myself that I will eventually reuse them, but I never do. When I came across this idea, I thought it was a great way to preserve my favorite shopping bags, that are far too beautiful for the trash, or in an ever growing box within my closet! I have kept a number of bags over the years that worked ideally for this display of artwork. Many of these shopping bags have wonderful memories attached to them of shopping experiences and special celebrations that have lasted over the years—so this was the perfect solution!

This is one recessionista proof way to make great wall art.  It is super simple and looks oh-so-sophisticated!

Not only is this DIY project beautiful, it actually only requires FOUR STEPS!

1. Start collecting cute shopping bags and gift bags. Pick out your favorites and cut off one side
of the  bag. Leave one handle.
2. Gather various sizes of frames to fit the different sizes of bags. Try thrift stores for the frames!
3. Use a really strong glue (Super Glueworks fantastic) and attach the bags to the center of a large white
piece of construction paper.
4. Pop the bag (glued to the paper) into the frame, hang on the wall, and enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment